Inside Out Campaign for Pain Awareness Month
Friday, 7 September 2018
Pain is something that many of us feel, but it cannot be seen. That does not mean it is not real. It is for the most part inside our bodies, often preventing us from enjoying life, working, or even sleeping.
One of the most difficult things to do is to have others understand what it is like to live with pain. But, perhaps we can bring their attention to the pain that lives within. This Pain Awareness Month, help us to generate awareness by wearing at least one piece of clothing INSIDE OUT on any Friday during the September Pain Awareness Month. People will ask you why you are doing this—the perfect opportunity to talk about the importance of the topic. Post your picture and challenge your friends to wear their cloths INSIDE OUT during a Friday in September! Lastly, make a donation to the American Chronic Pain Association #acpainsideout to help us to reach more people living with pain.
Inside Out Campaign
Chronic pain is an invisible epidemic that has a profound effect of people and society
- There are 100 million people in the US living with some form of pain
- Almost 1 in 3 people in the U.S. have chronic pain
- The economic cost exceeds $600 billion annually in the U.S.
- Chronic pain affects over 1/3 of the UK population.
- Chronic pain costs the EU around €240 billion a year in direct and indirect costs. That’s 2% of GDP across Europe.
- 1 in 5 Australians lives with chronic pain (including adolescents and children) and 1 in 3 over the age of 65
- In 2007, it was found that chronic pain cost the Australian economy over $34 billion in health costs, social security benefits and lost productivity.
- Chronic pain does not discriminate; it affects people of all ages, races, and backgrounds
- Many people conceal their pain because of stigma and shame
- Chronic pain has an impact on family members; they can suffer as much as the person, even though they don’t feel the physical pain
Challenge your friends, family, and coworkers to wear their clothes inside out one Friday in September, post your pictures #acpainsideout, and make a donation to the ACPA!
To help you add your voice to further this campaign, please see the list of resources below: